How to Make Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice
With or without a juicer, preparing freshly squeezed orange juice is a simple task that anyone can perform.
You will need:
- Oranges (2 per 8-oz. serving)
- Strainers (if you want less pulp)
- Juicers (optional)
- Paring knives
- Drinking glasses
- Slotted spoons (if you want more pulp)
- Begin by tightly squeezing oranges repeatedly to soften them and better release juices.
- Wash thoroughly, cut into halves, and remove seeds.
- Proceed to step 11 if using a juicer.
- Carefully cut circularly around the edge of an orange half, slightly separating the fruit and peel.
- Grip the orange half tightly and squeeze directly into a glass or serving pitcher.
- Continue squeezing and periodically rotating the orange in your hand until liquid is no longer produced.
- Scrape the orange with a spoon and add fruit directly to the juice for additional pulp.
- Put the juice through a strainer for less pulp.
- Repeat with the other orange halves.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Follow specific machine instructions on loading and juicing oranges if using a juicer.
How to Make Orange Sherbet
If you want a simple, cool, and fun summer dessert that can be used in drink recipes, or served with cake, or pie, orange sherbet is the way to go.
- 3 oz. package of orange gelatin.
- 1 cup boiling water.
- 1 ¼ cups sugar.
- One 16 oz. can of orange juice concentrate, thawed.
- 1 dash of salt.
- 1 quart of milk.
- 1 pint of half and half cream.
- Take out a large bowl and add the gelatin and water to it. Watch the gelatin dissolve.
- Mix in the sugar, orange juice, and salt. The mixture should be mixed well enough that the sugar is dissolved.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and blend the entire mixture well.
- Put the mixture into an ice cream freezer and let it freeze according to the freezer manufacturer’s guidelines.
How to Make Orange Sour Cream Cake
This delectable cake has a sweet honey-orange topping perfectly paired with vanilla ice cream or orange sherbet.
Cake Things You’ll Need:
- ½ cup shortening.
- 1 tsp. salt.
- 1tbsp. orange rind, grated.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 2 eggs.
- 2 ¾ cups flour.
- 1 tsp. baking powder.
- 1 tsp. baking soda.
- 8 oz. sour cream.
- 1/3 cup orange juice.
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend shortening, salt, and 1 tbsp. orange rind together.
- Gradually cream in sugar and then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients into creamed mixture alternating with sour cream and orange juice. Mix until smooth after each addition.
- Add chopped nuts then pour into a greased and floured bundt cake pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
Topping Things You’ll Need:
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ cup orange juice.
- 1 tbsp orange rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat honey, orange juice, orange rind, and lemon juice on stove-top until lightly simmering.
- Using pastry brush, spread warm honey mixture on top of warm cake.
You can find more great recipes using oranges here.